The invaders killed a teacher and her family, one an infant. Meanwhile the pro-war Democratic administration is trying to co-opt and enforce message discipline on the anti-war forces they used to get themselves into power.
(Reuters) – The U.S. military has conceded that a raid this week by troops under its command in Afghanistan killed a group of civilians who were defending their home, not militants as it had earlier reported.
Investigations showed that during an operation by U.S. and Afghan forces in the southeastern province of Khost late on Wednesday, a local family near the target location had opened fire on the troops, the military said in a statement late on Thursday.
“The combined forces returned fire, killing two males, two females and wounding two females. There are reports of an infant also killed,” the statement said. “Coalition and Afghan forces do not believe that this family was involved with militant activities and that they were defending their home against an unknown threat,” it added.
A Reuters witness at the village after the raid saw the body of a seven-day-old boy who died during the raid. International aid group Care said in a statement that one of the victims was a female teacher working in a school it supports. It said the four others killed were members of her family, including two children. One was a student in her class.